Dave

Target Devices Supported By Boostc

Hi Dave,

how can i use PIC16LF1847? There is an 16LF1847.h - File in the include-Directory, but this type doesn't appear in the Target-List (or i can't find it)

I'm using Boost-C Version 7.01.

Greetings Peter

Peter,

how can i use PIC16LF1847? There is an 16LF1847.h - File in the include-Directory, but this type doesn't appear in the Target-List (or i can't find it)

I'm using Boost-C Version 7.01.

Upgrade to BoostC V7.10.

Regards

Dave

It has been more than a year ago, since new targets were added.

To stay competitive to the XC compilers it would be really nice to take advantage of the many new PIC16F1 chips.

Like the PIC16F1789.

I do not expect to have all the library’s to work with this new devices, I can write my own functions.

But it would be a good thing to have a sort of upgrade / expansion pack for new target support,

so we can get the include files for those new targets.

I see there is a header file for PIC18F45K50 (although somewhat incomplete) and a .TDF file as well. But MPLABX won't allow me to use the Sourceboost toolsuite for this device. Is there a list that MPLABX scans to see what devices are supported by SourceBoost toolsuite? Can I manually add this device to the list? If not, how long before you will formally support it?

I am planning a project for a customer targetting PIC 18F67K40.

This CPU doesn't appear to be supported in the current release (7.30). Can you please provide an update to allow me to use this part?

In general, how is BoostC tracking the appearance of new processors? Is anybody producing new support files for them? Either within the Sourceboost company or the community? Is there some other community support site that I should be looking at?

(I have in the past edited the _PIC18Fxxx.TDF, map.txt and other include files, to add a CPU, but its a tricky process - is there a guide published for "how to" add a CPU to the list? Or could you write one? Or should I write one based on what i have done in the past for you to edit?)

Is there a mechanism for users to contribute "mods" they have made for new CPUs, so they can be sent back into the community?

Still using your product after many years (back to early 6.xx) - many thanks for a great little compiler & IDE. Just wish you would do a PIC32MX one...(!)

Since I have not seen any updates or responses in some time could you please let us know if your products are still supported and if the newer devices will be added soon or should we start looking at other compliers?

Thanks!

Randy

New targets supported in version 7.40:

PIC16F1459, PIC16F1788 and PIC16F1789 are now supported !

Edited by L de vries

You can download support files for PIC18F6xK40 from:

http://www.sourceboo...PIC18F6xK40.zip

7.40 also includes instructions how to add support for new targets. Look into the readme.txt files inside include and config directories and how_to_add_new_target.txt file in the root of SourceBoost installation.

Pavel

Hi Pavel

What exactly means "limited support" in the version log?

Its something to do with the core processor or its only a libraries thing?

Best regards

Jorge

Edited by JorgeF

...What exactly means "limited support" in the version log?...

Limited support means that only core information that is necessary to compile and debug for this target is included into system headers and TDF files:
  • - only core registers are defined in the system header files, if you need other registers you need to add your own defines to either your code or system header
  • - full config data is added to the system headers (PIC16) or TDF(PIC18) files
  • - target architecture is fully described in the TDF files but non-core registers and register groups are not.
You are welcome to add missing information. To compile it's only necessary to add it to system header files. Missing information in the TDF files is used in debugging under SourceBoost IDE and if you use Mplab or Mplab X you don't need it.

For example look at the Port B support that is not defined in the limited support targets but is fully supported in PIC18F8722. This target has the following information in its system header file PIC18F8722.h (used in compilation):

#define PORTB                  0x00000F81 
volatile char portb            @PORTB;
and in PIC18F8722.tdf file (used for debugging):

Configure PORTB
{
    // create
    PinNames = "RB0|INT0","RB1|INT1","RB2|INT2","RB3|INT3|ECCP2|P2A","RB4|KBI0","RB5|KBI1|PGM","RB6|KBI2|PGC","RB7|KBI3|PGD";
}

RegisterSF PORTB
{
    Description = "PORTB","";
    Address = F81h;
    BitNames = "RB7","RB6","RB5","RB4","RB3","RB2","RB1","RB0";
}

Hi

Thank you Pavel.

So, if I understood it correctly all the important things are acounted for, its only missing optionals.

All the registers relating to oscillator configurations, interrupts, memory paging/banking and other core features are defined.

The compiler and linker do handle interrupts (context), the memory maps (ROM pages / RAM banks) and config words correctly, including the tricky dispatching code used by Novo.

All I have to take care by myself are the peripherals.

Good enought for me!

EDIT ADD:

BTW, I mostly use MPLAB 8/X

Best regards

Jorge

Edited by JorgeF

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.