Will you use BoostC under linux if it gets available?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Will you use BoostC under linux if it gets available?

• Yes I will. I'm interested in linux BoostC release.
    • I'm not interested. I plan to BoostC under windows only.
    • I don't care.

Recent topic about BoostC under linux got quite a few views. We always assumed that there are not many potencial linux BoostC users but maybe we are wrong :blink: Thus here is this poll.

Regards,

Pavel

I would move to Linux if I could continue to use my BoostC licence and could find the proper programmer software for my KitsRUs K150 board. I don't know if their own upcoming software MP2 with protocol P19 will be converted by someone to a Linux version but hopefully someone else might build it.

Regards

VagabondW

I've been trying to nerve myself into moving over to Linux for some time now, so having a SourceBoost capability there would be a real plus.

One think that I loathe about Linux, however, is the tendency for Linux gurus to overwhelm everything with LinuxSpeak opacity. I've got so tired of PEEK, POKE and the obscure diddling around with Linux commands that seems to be a characteristic of Linux users virtually universally.

Until Linux gets over that and gets a more user-friendly... no... let's say less user hostile... user interface it will, I fear, remain as a niche operating system rather than supplanting Windows, which is badly what it needs to do.

I would prefer to see a mac osx version. It gets tiresome having to develop windows apps that talk to the hardware when the real target is a mac application. Almost to the stage of using AVRs as at least I can use GCC to then

I have actually gotten Boost to work under Ubuntu.

Works nice in Dapper Drake.

Let me polish off a how to and I will post it.

Bob

Yeah! I would REALLY like to see your HowTo :lol:

I also!!

Have we lost hope on that doccument?

I've gotten BoostC installed in the past and to give a version reply, but it would not compile code due to path issues. :D

I got SourceBoost 6.60 to work on the lastest version of Wine (0.9.27) in Debian Unstable. Compiling even works now.

Have y'all looked at wxWidgets (www.wxwidgets.org) for porting SourceBoost? It's very similar in many ways to MFC and is cross platform which would make it easy to support Linux, Windows, and Mac.

I got SourceBoost 6.60 to work on the lastest version of Wine (0.9.27) in Debian Unstable.  Compiling even works now.

Have y'all looked at wxWidgets (www.wxwidgets.org) for porting SourceBoost?  It's very similar in many ways to MFC and is cross platform which would make it easy to support Linux, Windows, and Mac.

Great to hear about wine working, i'll have to retry it.

As for for "porting" SoureBoost ... i hate to say it but that would be a huge waste ...

HiTech is already using Eclipse fo thier "HiTide" IDE. Eclipse is already portable across ~10 OS

as it uses java. No point in reinventing the wheel when 95% of the work is already available

and ready to go.

In case someone does not know Eclipse here is the URL: http://www.eclipse.org/

Myself, i've used it on XP, Linux, BSD, and QNX.

Great to hear about wine working, i'll have to retry it.

As for for "porting" SoureBoost ... i hate to say it but that would be a huge waste ...

HiTech is already using Eclipse fo thier "HiTide" IDE. Eclipse is already portable across ~10 OS

as it uses java. No point in reinventing the wheel when 95% of the work is already available

and ready to go.

In case someone does not know Eclipse here is the URL:  http://www.eclipse.org/

Myself, i've used it on XP, Linux, BSD, and QNX.

I've used eclipse some, but it's huge and slow. You may be right about the Sourceboost IDE, but then again, it may not be that bad using wxWidgets and it would certainly be far smaller and faster than eclipse, and it would have the simulator. That said, I'd really be interested if even just the boostc compiler was ported to run natively on linux and one could just use another ide (eclipse, anjuta, kdevelop, emacs, etc).

I've used eclipse some, but it's huge and slow.  You may be right about the Sourceboost IDE, but then again, it may not be that bad using wxWidgets and it would certainly be far smaller and faster than eclipse, and it would have the simulator.  That said, I'd really be interested if even just the boostc compiler was ported to run natively on linux and one could just use another ide (eclipse, anjuta, kdevelop, emacs, etc).

You find eclipse slow? ... i've found that using HiTide in windows is faster than using MPLab

with HiTechC. i guess mileage may vary with system components. As for simulating, eclipse

does just as good a job as any other system i've used... better in most cases as plugins exist

for the major device emulators/enviroments.

Since eclipse is written in java, yeah it's size is substantial, but like anything its a trade off.

120MB gives you support on 6+ OSs and access to integrate a huge amount of open and

closed source tools in one IDE. This means suddenly you can have all your different

compiler(s) and language types in one IDE; no switching for PIC, FPGA, Motorolla, TI, etc devices.

(btw eclipse is far from my IDE of choice, just listing benefits)

A native BoostC/C++ would be great one day!!

Recent topic about BoostC under linux got quite a few views. We always assumed that there are not many potencial linux BoostC users but maybe we are wrong <_< Thus here is this poll.

Regards,

Pavel

With the release of Vista, I believe all software should be written for cross platforms, i am presently using XP but have NO plans to upgrade to Vista, will probably be looking for a good version of linux for future work.

I'm using Qt from Trolltech. IMHO, this is the only real hasselfree library to create

OS-independant programs. Code once and you can compile it on Windows, Mac and Linux.

QT is very far from hassle free ...

and the open versions of thier libraries that they release are very old (3+yrs).

As well upgrading code between QT versions is a PIA.

But it is very pretty. OPIE/Qtopia

Edited by emte

For me, boostc compiler that is native to linux, with registration possibilities would be sufficient.

I currently use piklab.sourceforge.com and it works really well with the native windows compiler, only problem is that you are unable to register it due to some missing bits in WINE.

René

QT is very far from hassle free ...

Not my experience, just code once and compile and run on Windows, Mac and Linux

without the need to tweak the code.

and the open versions of thier libraries that they release are very old (3+yrs).

What are you talking about? You can download the latest release of Qt 4.2.3 at Trolltech

website including the sourcecode. It's not older than a couple of months...

Maybe the GPL'ed version of Qt lags behind the commercial version regarding some

features. But if you need to keep your program closed source you need the commercial

version anyway.

Any way, I don't have the illusion that the guys from SB will try any attempts to make

it available for other platforms as well. Even trying to make the registration process

getting to work with Wine is too much of an effort for them...

So talking about this is just hypothetic.

Regards.

Great news!!

With the release of 6.70 an unexpected event has happened ... well almost, you need to help it a little.

SourceBoost and BoostC work in linux under wine! ( i have not tested the debugger though, just running and compiling)

Before you jump off and try it for yourself, you need to aquire two driver files from a working XP system.

They are: MFC42.DLL and MSVCIRT.DLL and are most likly located in C:\Windows\System32.

Drop these two files in BOTH your "C:\Windows\System32" and "C:\Windows\System" directories under wine.

(there seems to be some odd path searching issue, both places seems to solve this)

Then proceed to install SourceBoost, before you ask, Registration still does not work.

It almost seems as if preg.exe does some non-standard registry editing, but that is more an issue for the developers.

Most of the time you can get away with using an unregistered version, if you cannot ... well that is why windows is still here.

(As a side note i am going to try copying parts of my XP registry and copying it into the wine one ...

i must really want to break things ...)

If i get time (why do i put so manythings on my todo list?), i will see if i can get the compiler to play nice with

HITIDE(HI-Techs new Eclipse based IDE) for those of you who like heavier featured IDEs.

For those who doubt, here is a screenshot of a successful compile: SourceBoost-6_70.png

Edited by emte

Hi,

Just thought i should mention that i tried copying the relevant parts from my windows registry and it didn't make any difference.

It seems that preg uses a Security function that wine doesn't support, i had a small look around on the internet and wasn't able to uncover any work around.

(As a side note i am going to try copying parts of my XP registry and copying it into the wine one ...

i must really want to break things ...)

My 2c would be:

Yes, I'd like a Linux/Mac OS X version (does that count as two votes ;)?)

Please, please, please make it command line. Once you're on a real programmers platform ( :P) we can then use the tools that come as standard, e.g. Emacs, Vi, RCS, CVS, od -c, Makefiles, configure etc etc. This means you don't re-invent the wheel. If you want to make an IDE as well, fine, I won't use it unless I have to, not because it's no good, I'm sure it'll be fine, but I am so used to Emacs and setting up my development environment in Emacs to do just what I want that I don't want to change.

Vista is making me think of leaving windows. Boostc is one of the things that ties me to it. Writing it in Java would be great, but running under some sort of windows like porting environment would be OK. Would like the whole ide including the debugger, they are really nice to work with.

Russ

Vista is making me think of leaving windows. Boostc is one of the things that ties me to it. Writing it in Java would be great, but running under some sort of windows like porting environment would be OK. Would like the whole ide including the debugger, they are really nice to work with.

Russ

Just a suggestion... Run Linux, get a copy of Vmware Server (it's free) and run a copy of Windows 2000 (or XP) under it. Use Samba to share files with the W2K virtual machine and run the IDE in the VM. Just don't allow the virtual machine access to the internet and you needn't worry too much about updates to Windows.

I'd do similar, except I installed my BoostC license on my laptop that runs XP. It shares files with my Linux box using Samba. I have a Windows 2000 virtual machine on the Linux box which I use to run Winpic and Screamer for PIC programming. It also has Mplab for maintaining some of my old assembly code. I compile on the laptop, copy the hex file to a net drive then download to the PIC using Screamer.

Orin.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.