Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About tgrrr

  • Rank
  1. Well I've used a variety of different controllers each with their own debuggers and compilers. Over time I find that it is easier to stick with an editor so I wouldn't have to readjust myself to different IDEs/environment, or to whine about the new IDE lacking a particular feature, or behaving differently from what I'm used to. Like right now, my day job deals with ARC whereas I code for PIC on my free time, and I use textpad for both. In fact, I use textpad for all text reading/editing stuff.
  2. A couple of months back I was looking for a C compiler option. Previously I've been coding in assembly using MPLab and they are getting tedious to code and maintain. The first I tried was Hi-Tech C, based on what I surmised on the internet that it seems to be the most respected one. I haven't the budget to try their professional version, but their lite (free) version generates horribly inefficient code. Even if I get the expensive professional version (which should theoretically removed those inefficiencies), it only supports up to PIC16, which doesn't helps me in the long run. Microchip's
  3. I use a third party editor like Textpad or UltraEdit to write my codes, then use MPLab for project management and building as well as debugging. The only reason I choose MPLab is purely because of it's in-circuit debugging capability, which is often needed to figure out what's wrong with a piece of hardware, and the assumption that Microchip will continue to support and keep it updated from time to time.
  4. I guess this is more for aesthetic purposes but it would be nice if the source directory and the output directory are also configurable. I usually keep my source files in a src folder, include in inc folder, and the output files in a debug or release folder. Then I might have some batch files to help with the build process. Having a lot of these files in a single folder makes them looks cluttered.
  5. Hi guys, I'm doing something similar and encountered the same problem. Basically I have a table of function addresses, and a system that calls them when required. A simple kind of task switching. I've been trying to use the fix address thing but couldn't get it to work so far, not sure why. But I've found another workaround albeit a stupid one. That is I fill my table with all zeroes and compile my code once. After that, I open up the generated list file, and manually fill up my table, then recompile again and it works. I figured it should be possible to write a simple script to a
  • Create New...