I'm checking out BoostC. Trying to optimize a double for-loop that uses array indices, I used a pointer instead. The resulting code was much larger, in large part because the compiler's apparently using 16-bit values for pointers.

This is on a 16F648A, which only has 256 bytes of RAM. So an 8-bit value should be sufficient for any pointer type, and would be more directly supported by the hardware. (E.g., "p++" would be one instruction, not three.)

Any thoughts? Any way I can force this? It makes pointer use extremely inefficient.

I'm checking out BoostC. Trying to optimize a double for-loop that uses array indices, I used a pointer instead.  The resulting code was much larger, in large part because the compiler's apparently using 16-bit values for pointers.

This is on a 16F648A, which only has 256 bytes of RAM.  So an 8-bit value should be sufficient for any pointer type, and would be more directly supported by the hardware.  (E.g., "p++" would be one instruction, not three.)

Any thoughts? Any way I can force this?  It makes pointer use extremely inefficient.

Try using a character array instead.