A fellow that I work with has written a pile of nice firmware for the 16F628(A) in SDCC. Unfortunately, duplicating his development environment, such as it is, on another PC, never mind a Windows machine (he's a rabid Linux advocate) appears from his accounts to be impossible till he gets around to doing it.

Thus, I've got his source and I've got his hex files but I can't work with the code for the indefinite future. Has anyone any experience with porting SDCC code to BoostC for PIC16 chips?

A fellow that I work with has written a pile of nice firmware for the 16F628(A) in SDCC.  Unfortunately, duplicating his development environment, such as it is, on another PC, never mind a Windows machine (he's a rabid Linux advocate) appears from his accounts to be impossible till he gets around to doing it.

Thus, I've got his source and I've got his hex files but I can't work with the code for the indefinite future.  Has anyone any experience with porting SDCC code to BoostC for PIC16 chips?

Sorry, no experience with SDCC. I always keep myself at double safety distance from such permanent-beta stuff (and from linux advocates, as well :D).

Anyway, I'm not sure I got your point. SDCC, GPUTILS, CYGWIN and all that jazz do exist for windows, AFAIK. Are they so terribly hard to setup for a single shot compilation ?

I believe the renowned Scott Dattalo could give you some hint about porting and/or windows setup, if you care dropping him a couple of lines. IIRC, he did the PIC port.