Boostc And Mplab7.5 Need Setup Help

I am trying to get BoostC working with MP lab and am struggling a bit. Perhaps somebody can help me.

I am building a set of files and everything goes ok until I get into the linker whereupon I get the following:

Executing: "C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\boostlink.pic.exe" "C:\aaaa\CLCD\lcd.obj" "C:\aaaa\CLCD\lcd_test.obj" "C:\aaaa\CLCD\serial.obj" -O1 -p "CLCD" -t 16F877A -ld C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\Lib

BoostLink Optimizing Linker Version 6.60

http://www.sourceboost.com

Copyright© 2004-2006 Pavel Baranov

Copyright© 2004-2006 David Hobday

Optimisation level:1

Error: Failed to open:Lib.

Failure

I have the 'set language tool' >library search path set to C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\lib which is where I am assuming that necessary library stuff is located.

Or could this have something to do with the assembler search path --as I am not sure what to put in there.

I have the 'out of the box" directory structure set up by the install program.

Thanks for the tip.

I loaded libc.pic16.lib from the picc directory to the project files under lib but got the same result.

On thing that I failed to mention is that in addtion to the error in the earlier message, I got a window that said 'failed to load C:\....\clcd.cof.' When I look in the project directory, the file name is there, but the file size is zero.

I am working in the same directory that I used to successfully build the program using the SourceBoost IDE. Perhaps some of the residual files from that activity is screwing things up.

I wonder if there is some kind of comprehensive document on setting up in the MPLAB environment. The short note in the SourceBoost files talks about what to do if the integration wasn't do on the initial install of the SB IDE.

This startup stuff is never much fun...

ryeg,

I wonder if there is some kind of comprehensive document on setting up in the MPLAB environment.  The short note in the SourceBoost files talks about what to do if the integration wasn't do on the initial install of the SB IDE.

Look in the BoostC manual at the MPLAB integration section.

Regards

Dave

Thanks for the tip. 

I loaded  libc.pic16.lib  from the picc directory to the project files under lib but got the same result.

On thing that I failed to mention is that in addtion to the error in the earlier message, I got a window that said 'failed to load  C:\....\clcd.cof.'  When I look in the project directory, the file name is there, but the file size is zero.

I am working in the same directory that I used to successfully build the program using the SourceBoost IDE.  Perhaps some of the residual files from that activity is screwing things up.

I wonder if there is some kind of comprehensive document on setting up in the MPLAB environment.  The short note in the SourceBoost files talks about what to do if the integration wasn't do on the initial install of the SB IDE.

Thanks for the tip. 

I loaded  libc.pic16.lib  from the picc directory to the project files under lib but got the same result.

On thing that I failed to mention is that in addtion to the error in the earlier message, I got a window that said 'failed to load  C:\....\clcd.cof.'  When I look in the project directory, the file name is there, but the file size is zero.

I am working in the same directory that I used to successfully build the program using the SourceBoost IDE.  Perhaps some of the residual files from that activity is screwing things up.

I think you can get rid of the search path, but you need to add 'libc.picXX.lib' for either pic16 or pic18 to your project as a lib file.

DUH-UH!

I got it working! -- I put all of the .c and .h files into a new directory and opened a new project and everything works great. It must have been the residual stuff in the directory from earlier SourceBoost activity.

When in doubt, go back to go and start over.

Thanks guys.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting the same results, but I can't figure how to make this work. I'm very new at this.

Just to make sure that MPLAB would work with the compiler, I made a very small project. Only one c file (test.c) and one library (libc.pic16.lib).

I chose a target of PIC16F628. The C file is this: (yes, I know it's missing config fuses but this should not prevent a successful build)

#include <system.h>

void main(void){
trisa=0;
porta=0;	
}

I setup the toolsuite setup like shown in the manual, links to compiler and linker, no paths. In the project libraries, like I mentionned before, I manually included the libc.pic16.lib file.

When I build the project, I get a popup that says "Failed to load c:\pictest\test.COF".

The build output shows this:

Clean: Deleting intermediary and output files.

Clean: Deleted file "Test.OBJ".

Clean: Deleted file "C:\Pictest\test.HEX".

Clean: Done.

Executing: "C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\boostc.pic16.exe" Test.c -O1  -W1  -t 16F628

BoostC Optimizing C Compiler Version 6.60 (for PIC16 architecture)

Licensed to Benoit Bleau under Single user Full License for 1 node(s)

Limitations: PIC12,PIC16 max code size:Unlimited, max RAM banks:Unlimited, Non commercial use only

Test.c

success

Executing: "C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\boostlink.pic.exe"  "C:\Pictest\test.obj" "C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\Lib\libc.pic16.lib" -O1  -p "test" -t 16F628 -ld C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\Lib

BoostLink Optimizing Linker Version 6.60

Optimisation level:1

Error: Failed to open:Lib.

Failure

BUILD SUCCEEDED: Mon Jan 15 17:26:04 2007

Any ideas?

Completely confused :D

I noticed that too. It looks like the linker line is truncated. But this isn't something I have control over. This was MPLAB's build output. I have not entered this path anywhere.

Could it be a typo error in the MPLAB integration files that BoostC installs?

Well...

It makes no sense, but, I decided to start over. I created a new subdir (test2) copied the test.c file in it, built a new project, and now it builds.

I don't understand what's different. Like ryeg said, the startup stuff isn't much fun :D

Thanks for your replies.

-Ben