i am sorry if this has already been covered in another post, trying to search "speed up boostc"

is not allowed since up is less than four letters and my other combinations did not yield any

useful information.

Is there any tricks or settings short of using a RAM drive to increase BoostC's compile times?

It is taking ~5min to build a simple 2k byte project which is a bit ... painful sometimes.

Is this normal? The system that BoostC is currently on is: P3-1Ghz, 768 RAM, XP Pro, 7200RPM drive.

If there is another thread already, can someone point the way please?

Thank you.

emte,

Have a look here, a little tip regarding #pragam CLOCK_FREQ that can slow things down by a significant factor.

We have heard reports that some virus checkers can slow things down alot.

Try turning that off and see if things speed up.

Make sure you are getting the most out of the BoostC make file system:

1) Split the project down into multiple files, when build only the files that are changed will be re-built. A re-build of everything can be forced by holding the ctrl key down and pressing the 'B' button.

2) Don't #include lots of .c files into one (this is the same as having one big .c file as far as compilation is concerned), add them individually to the project and create header files.

3) Create libraries for code that is not being changed, and add these libraries to the project - that code is then never re-compiled.

These recommendations are generally how good programmers work anyway(spliting the job down into smaller parts)

I hope that helps.

Regards

Dave

ugh, i must say that is disapointing.

i already do all those things, aside from including .c files, i just use headers the way they

were intended.

As for the library, that is what i am trying to fine tune so a binary at this point is not an option.

The issue is odd to say the least...

Has anyone tried changing process priority for the compiler?

emte,

ugh, i must say that is disapointing.

i already do all those things, aside from including .c files, i just use headers the way they were intended.

If you send the project to support@sourceboost.com I'll have a quick looking into why the build time is so long - it sounds like something is wrong.

Building a multi file project on my system (3GHz Pentium 4) takes around 35s for a complete build. Final code size is 5.5k words.

Regards

Dave

emte,

Thanks for sending the project.

My times for a complete build our as follows:

Pentium 4, 3GHz, 1024Mbyte RAM: 12.5s

Pentium 2, 300MHz, 256Mbyte RAM: 52.5s (clean system, no virus checker)

Partial builds take much less time than this.

So it would tend to indicate that there is some issue with your system.

Regards

Dave

I wonder if this is the same thing I've seen: C compilation goes quickly, but linking takes either a few seconds or several minutes, with very minor changes to the code.

Is the linker doing some kind of iterative memory allocation that can get caught in pathological cases?

The time I saw it last, it *may* have gone away when I changed some functions from

void foo()

to

void foo(void)

but it's been so intermittent I'm not really sure.

Emte, just a weird guess - are you using TortoiseSVN?

teejaydub,

I wonder if this is the same thing I've seen: C compilation goes quickly, but linking takes either a few seconds or several minutes, with very minor changes to the code.

Is the linker doing some kind of iterative memory allocation that can get caught in pathological cases?

The time I saw it last, it *may* have gone away when I changed some functions from

void foo()

to

void foo(void)

Linking should only take a few seconds. Large functions with lots of conditionals will take longer to link as linker works through the code to add code page and bankswitching.

Small changes should cause radical changes in linking time.

Regards

Dave

Emte, just a weird guess - are you using TortoiseSVN?

Specifically no, if i use svn its usually with svk. As for the specific client, it varies depending

if its linux or windows.

As for the speed issue, i cannot seem to pinpoint what causes it. i have a very simular project

and it builds quickly.