Since I can't search a 3 letter term like USB on this forum I ask for hints.

Can I make a USB connection to the EZcontroller? It is a PIC18F252 & has a max232 onboard but I know little about USB protocols.

Has anybody made any code like the rs232 code in boostC?

You seem very confused about what you want ...

1) That is an issue with the forum software.

2) You need to buy a USB module or atleast have enough know how to use a serial->usb converter

3) Yes, many people have thier own serial routines.

You seem very confused about what you want ...

1)  That is an issue with the forum software.

2)  You need to buy a USB module or atleast have enough know how to use a serial->usb converter

3) Yes, many people have thier own serial routines.

No, Really. I know what I want.

I may not have convinced everybody else though. :rolleyes:

The forum search is fine. I just don't want answers that tell me to RTFM.

I want an EZ controller (available from Sourceboost.com) to send USB info to a PC. The EZ already has a MAX232 and I can use it (and I have for two years), software and all. My SmartRelay will trip an interrupt on PortB, and depending on which pin caused the interrupt, send a text message over the USB.

How could I use the MAX232 to send USB signals instead of rs232 signals? I have plenty of rs232 code already, I am looking for hints on USB code. I could just jam a USB/serial converter on the output but perhaps I could look smarter?

Everything I have found deals with USB enabled PICs but I have the 18F252 available.

The PICs I know about are not even remotely fast enough to bit-bang a USB interface.

You need hardware support. Either internal to the PIC or external (RS232 to USB).

You say "I know little about USB protocols" well you will need to lean a lot more before USB code for the PIC will be of any use to you.

I want an EZ controller (available from Sourceboost.com) to send USB info to a PC. The EZ already has a MAX232 and I can use it (and I have for two years), software and all.
How could I use the MAX232 to send USB signals instead of rs232 signals? I have plenty of rs232 code already, I am looking for hints on USB code.

The MAX232 itself cannot send anything but RS-232 signals...that's why we think you're confused.

I haven't done anything with USB before, but I know there are nice cheap adapters that are great for plugging RS-232 things into laptops that only have USB ports, no serial ports. If you're looking for a production solution, there are probably chip versions of the same thing or something like it.

The PICs I know about are not even remotely fast enough to bit-bang a USB interface.

You need hardware support. Either internal to the PIC or external (RS232 to USB).

You say "I know little about USB protocols" well you will need to lean a lot more before USB code for the PIC will be of any use to you.

:rolleyes: OK I surrender! I'll use an adapter!

The biggest barrier is actually that the USB protocol stipulates differential signaling

which you cannot do with an rs232 chip at the correct frequencies or current levels

(USB is sensitive to current issues as opposed to voltage, hence why they use differential)

Besides you can pick up a USB module for ~$10 or buy a rs232->usb converter chip for ~$5.