Recommended (inexpensive) Standalone Programmer

I want to replace my ICD2 with a simple, reliable, standalone programmer that I can invoke from within the SourceBoost IDE.

It's got to handle Pic16 and Pic18 parts.

Suggestions?

thnx

J

Look on Ebay. I got a JDM programmer, cheap, that I have liked. Your mileage may vary.

Russ

I want to replace my ICD2 with a simple, reliable, standalone programmer that I can invoke from within the SourceBoost IDE.

Suggestions?

thnx

J

If I may - why? Don't need the debug portion?

I know ICD2 isn't as nice as the Pickit2 programmer, for example, and that SB has a nicer IDE than MPLAB. However, so far (a few months), I like MPLAB/ICD2/SB for hobby tutorial lesson stuff. I hardly use the simulator.

I'd prefer to use SB's IDE though. It's a better presentation, and the call tree deal is nice. A while ago I was using a bootloader (Shane T.) and ICProg and that was really nice too. It worked great for me. A small C2C program would go from code_tweak to execution in about 20 seconds or so on a K6-400.

Have a lserious look at Wisp628

http://www.voti.nl/wisp628/index.html

It's a cheap ICSP programmer to build which works very wel with a laptop COM port and USB->COM adapters.

Most JDM programmers don't due to bad RS232 Voltage situation of the modern COM ports.

It´s available as a kit 25,- euro's or assembled 37,- euro's

If you want to make it completely yourself: Eagle circuit and PCB design, the firmware and programmer software are also available for download on that site.

You can find a variation which you can build yourself on the Wisp628 on http://www.picbasic.nl which has a galvanic isolation between his PC and the target PIC circuit by using opto couplers. It's called the "Galva-Wisp" That site is Dutch only however which might be a problem for you. If you're able to navigate to the correct pages most of it is pretty much self explaining I think. (pictures :lol: )

Edited by fred

I have to agree with Fred about the WISP628. I have been using one for a couple of years and it has been trouble free. It also has some TTY and serial pass thru capabilities that are very handy.

Wouter has been very helpful when I have had problems with the unit. But my problems were almost totally a result of me not reading the manual. :lol:

It's a good sound product with good support. He also has a lot of pic related products for sale in his catalog.

Rye

Suggestions?

thnx

J

I recently bought a PicKit2 from Microchip on the recommendation of a number of people. It is extremely capable and is probably the best value programmer you'll find at $35 plus shipping.

Moses

• 1 year later...

Suggestions?

thnx

J

Look on Ebay. I got a JDM programmer, cheap, that I have liked. Your mileage may vary.

Russ

i got one too. its immense - £5.* with 40pin and 18pin ZIF sockets. JDM design and powered off the serial port

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JDM-PIC-Programmer-M...%3A1|240%3A1318

hmm... appears the price has gone up, but its a very nicely working progger and comes fully assembled with a serial cable

Another vote for the Pickit2.

- it uses USB

- can do in-circuit programming (ICSP) of a very wide range of parts

- really dependable

- can be used "standalone" (no computer) to program something in the field.

- can be used as a in-circuit debugger

- widely loved and supported

- really well supported with frequent firmware updates

- very good hardware support - Microchip will apparently replace them pronto if they fail

That's my two cents, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...