Makeshort And "local Variable May Be Used Uninitialized" Warning

FredericG,

A macro like MAKESHORT can initialize a variable but the compiler does not know that and generates a warning. Is there a way to solve this without initializing the variable explicitly?
Please provide an example of what you mean exactly.

Regards

Dave

FredericG,
A macro like MAKESHORT can initialize a variable but the compiler does not know that and generates a warning. Is there a way to solve this without initializing the variable explicitly?

Regards

Dave

It's not the macro that's the problem, but the inline assembly it uses. The compiler doesn't notice if you set a variable with inline assembly statements and warns that it's possibly uninitialized. Declaring the variable as 'volatile' gets rid of the warning, but isn't a great solution as you might miss a true 'uninitialized' case.

Orin.

FredericG,

Regards

Dave

u16_t timestamp;

t1con.TMR1ON = 0; // stop timer

MAKESHORT(timestamp, tmr1l, tmr1h);

en_of_pulse = timestamp; <<==== causes warning

It's not the macro that's the problem, but the inline assembly it uses. The compiler doesn't notice if you set a variable with inline assembly statements and warns that it's possibly uninitialized. Declaring the variable as 'volatile' gets rid of the warning, but isn't a great solution as you might miss a true 'uninitialized' case.

I am not an expert, but I think I have seen compilers that have pragma's that give hints to compiler about these things.

Thanks for the workaround, I can for sure live with that solution

Frederic